Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Liquid Soap from a Bar

When I saw this post on making liquid soap from bar soap, I was interested. With four young boys, we go through a lot of soap.  I remember trying this years ago growing up, using the leftover pieces of soap from soap carvings.  We kept adding boiling water to the soap, but it never stayed liquid. 

I followed her instructions, and the key ingredient is a tablespoon of glycerin.  I used 3/4 of a bar of soap, added it to 10 cups of water, and I was skeptical, because it had the consistency of milk.  But as it cooled, it  thickened up and became the same texture as regular liquid soap.  I was able to fill 3 large bottles with it - all from 3/4 of a bar of soap.  Someone is making a lot of money in this process somewhere! I also added 5 drops of lavender essential oil for a nice scent.

I will definitely be doing this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment